Week One: Fair Housing Investigator Course provides participants with the critical foundation necessary to progress through each of the weeklong investigator courses. The course is designed specifically for HUD and FHAP investigators.
The course covers:
- The fair housing investigation, including the purpose of an investigation and the role of an investigator.
- The Fair Housing Act and its legislative history, as well as a discussion of other laws that may be relevant to a fair housing investigation.
- The intake of fair housing complaints.
- Legal theories of discrimination and the elements of a prima facie case.
- The different types of evidence and how investigators can obtain and authenticate evidence.
Throughout the weeklong course, participants will engage in group discussions and activities and review and discuss recent case studies. Upon conclusion of this course, participants will be ready to build on their knowledge with the following weeklong courses.