Week Three: Fair Housing Investigator Course covers a variety of topics that relate to and impact a fair housing investigation.
The course covers:
- Accessibility, including applying reasonable accommodation and modification concepts to investigations based on disability.
- Fair housing testing, including how to effectively evaluate and use testing evidence in a fair housing investigation.
- Damages, including actual damages, civil penalties, punitive damages, and psychological damages. Participants also learn how to investigate and quantify damages.
- Conciliation, including the conciliation process, types of relief available, and writing an enforceable conciliation agreement.
- The determination, including drafting a determination that supports the results of the fair housing investigation and contains the required elements.
- Briefing techniques, including presenting persuasive arguments in support of a recommendation of a reasonable cause or no reasonable cause determination.
Throughout the weeklong course, participants will engage in group discussions and activities, including a mock conciliation exercise and drafting determinations.